A Bonteheuwel family, who lost their home in a fire, are asking the public to help get them back on their feet.
The fire started in the backyard of a Braambos Street house at about 2am on Wednesday April 3.
Nurjahaan Showdhrey, 28, blamed sparking wires on an electricity pole for the blaze that bunt five wendy houses, damaged a granny flat and left 17 people homeless.
A man in his late 40s was hospitalised with extensive burns to his body.
It’s the sixth fire in Bonteheuwel so far this year, according
to ward councillor Angus Mckenzie.
Ms Showdhrey lived in the wendy house with her boyfriend and three children aged one month, 9, and 12.
The family are now staying in Delft with Ms Showdhrey’s mother.
Ms Showdhrey said her family had lost everything by the time the fire brigade arrived.
“They took more than 30 minutes to come, and when they did, they couldn’t save anything. Luckily no one was killed. I’m feeling very upset, but what can I do? It happened already,” she said.
Fire and Rescue spokesman Jermaine Carelse said that the City’s disaster risk management centre had asked the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) to provide humanitarian aid to the family. The cause of the fire was unknown, he said.
The City did not answer a question relating to Ms Showdhrey’s complaint about the fire brigade’s response time.
She appealed to the community for donations of food, clothing, and household items. If you can help, call her at 076 145 9283.