Drive-through opens at Athlone jab centre

The Athlone Vaccination Centre of Hope’s drive-through opened to the public on Friday September 3.

The Athlone Vaccination Centre of Hope’s drive-through opened to the public on Friday September 3, a first of its kind in the province.

The drive-through has five lanes open to motorists, and the public can register at the site if they have not already done so online. The walk-through facility opened two weeks ago.

Health MEC Dr Nomafrench Mbombo said the drive-through was safe and convenient.

“It will guarantee that we vaccinate many people and assist in ensuring that we do not have a fatal fourth wave,” she said. “I am convinced that this will also attract young people who do not want to be queuing in the chairs to use this facility for their vaccinations.”

At the ribbon-cutting at the Athlone Vaccination Centre of Hope last week, from left, are ward councillor Magedien Davids, sub-council chairman George March, Social Development MEC Sharna Fernandez, Premier Alan Winde, Health MEC Dr Nomafrench Mbombo and ward councillor Mark Kleinschmidt.

Some 18 300 people in the province had died of Covid-19, as of Wednesday September 1, said Premier Alan Winde.

“These vaccines will enable us to have a Christmas, New Year, celebrate each other’s achievements. It will also allow us to save our summer and the many jobs created during this time. But we can only do this if we have maximum protection within communities. And the vaccine offers it,“ he said.