Hazardous pavements being replaced

Work on the walkways around the Bonteheuwel civic centre has started.

Pavements at Bonteheuwel civic centre are finally being fixed after residents complained last year that they were a hazard.

Work on the pavements started on Wednesday October 10 and should be done by mid-November, according to Bonteheuwel ward councillor Angus Mckenzie. He said R350 000 would be spent on the repairs, which will see the pavements tarred.

Members of the Disabled People South Africa’s (DPSA) Bonteheuwel branch protested outside the civic centre in February last year. They claimed bricks were being stolen from not only the pavements but all over the CBD.

Frail residents and those in wheelchairs found it especially hard to get into the civic centre to get their pensions.

Last year, Fagmieda Young said her wheelchair had nearly tipped over on the uneven surface.

Deon Arendse fell out of his wheelchair three times while trying to enter the civic centre.

Mr Mckenzie said: “Due to ongoing vandalism of the walkways and stealing of paving, many people, including the elderly and frail, found it extremely difficult to access the civic centre and make use of the bus stop.

“The uneven surfaces became a huge safety hazard to the community making use of the space. This is yet another huge win for the people of Bonteheuwel after I had received numerous requests to finding a solution to the problem.”

DPSA Bonteheuwel branch chairwoman Michelle Kock welcomed the repairs.

“Now it will be much better and easier for our people. Even those with crutches struggled before.

“We are so happy about this,” she said.