Man in court in connection with Essop disappearance

A 28-year-old man was arrested on a charge of possession of stolen property believed to be that of alleged kidnapping victim Shireen Essop.

A 28-year-old man accused of being in possession of a cellphone belonging to alleged kidnapping victim Shireen Essop appeared in court last week.

The man was arrested on a charge of possession of stolen property and appeared in Cape Town Magistrate’s Court on Thursday June 23, according to provincial police spokesman Captain Frederick van Wyk.

National Prosecuting Authority spokesman Eric Ntabazalila said Mussah Wilesi was refused bail and remained in custody at Pollsmoor prison. He will make his next court appearance on Friday July 1.

Shireen Essop, 34, disappeared while driving home from work on Weltevreden Road in Browns Farm, Philippi, on Monday May 23, and was reunited with her family on Saturday June 11.

The Klipfontein Neighbourhood Watch spotted her walking on Govan Mbeki Road on Friday night June 10, said Manenberg Community Police Forum chairwoman Vanessa Adriaanse (“Shireen Essop: community wants answers,” Athlone News, June15).

Captain Van Wyk said further arrests could not be ruled out as investigations continued.

“Further details about the case are expected to emerge in court during the appearance of the arrested suspect,” he said.

Ms Adriaanse said the CPF had visited the Essop family and they were not yet ready to speak to the media. “The family sent Shireen and her husband away to recover from the ordeal,” she said.