One killed, two injured in shootings

One man was killed and two others injured in separate shootings in Manenberg last Friday and Saturday.

A 25-year-old man was found dead with gunshot wounds to his upper body on Saturday February 2 in Logenberry Street, at 3.15am.

According to Manenberg police station spokesman, Captain Ian Bennett, the man was a known member of a local gang and was recently arrested for the murder of another rival gang member.

He had been released and the case postponed to Tuesday March 19.

He died outside the front door of a house where he had tried to get help by banging on the door.

The homeowner heard the banging but it was followed by gunfire as the man was shot down.

He sustained several gunshot wounds to his upper body. Several cartridges and projectiles were found on the scene. A case of murder was opened for investigation but no arrests have yet been made.

In the other incident, two men, aged 20 and 27, were injured during a gang-related shooting on Friday February 1, at 5pm.

Captain Bennett said the men were standing in Irvine Street when another man known to the victims, and from an opposing gang, walked towards them and shot them, hitting the 20-year-old in his right arm and the 27-year-old in his left shoulder. No arrests have been been made. The victims were taken to hospital for medical treatment. A case of attempted murder was opened for investigation.

A house in Rylands was robbed of of items worth R45 000 on Thursday January 31, at 2.15pm.

According to Athlone police spokeswoman, Sergeant Zita Norman, the homeowner and the domestic worker had been home when they heard someone at the garage door.

When the homeowner went to investigate, he was held up by two men armed with knives who entered his house. They asked him where his safe was and then tied him and the domestic worker with shoelaces and locked them in the toilet. The thieves made off with cellphones, jewellery including three watches, cash, and a laptop.

No arrests have been made.

Lansdowne detectives are looking for four men who robbed the Ebrahim store in Lansdowne Road on Sunday January 27, at 9.25am.

The men got away with cash, cigarettes, four cellphones and groceries. According to Lansdowne police spokesman, Sergeant Nkululeko Mnayka, the shop assistant said four men had entered the shop and pulled out a firearm. He was told to stand still while the other three men jumped over the counter and took what they wanted before fleeing.

No shots were fired during the incident. A case of business robbery was opened for investigation and no arrests have been made.

Anyone with information can call crime stop on 08600 10111.