Two suspects have been arrested for the murder of 15-year-old Dorian Solomons, who was shot and killed in Hanover Park last week.
The fatal shooting occurred in Lansport Road on Thursday March 23, at about 8am.
His mother Jacquline Solomons, said Dorian was the third member of her family to be killed as a result of their alleged involvement in gangsterism. His brother was shot and killed four years ago, and his father, 12 years ago.
According to Captain Lance Goliath, spokesman for Philippi police, the boy sustained multiple shots to his head and body, and five used cartridges were found on the scene.
Captain Goliath said two men, aged 18 and 24, were arrested on Friday March 24. The 24-year-old was scheduled to appear in the Athlone Magistrate’s Court on Monday March 27 on a charge of murder, while a court date had yet to be set for the 18-year-old.
“The third suspect is still at large and the investigation continues. Philippi station commander Colonel Dennis Abels who attended to the crime scene, condemned the killing and is urging the public to come forward with information,” he said.
Ms Solomons said Dorian walked his friends to school every morning and that he had woken up at about 6.30am to check if his friends were outside already.
Last year Dorian was in Grade 7 at Voorspoed Primary School in Hanover Park but was suspended in February due to bad behaviour.
She said her son had belonged to a clique of five boys who all attended the same school and were always suspended together.
The situation, however, got so bad, said Ms Solomons, that she was forced to lay a charge against her son when he threw a stone at her window and broke it.
She said she worked night shift, and the situation at home preoccupied her, making it difficult for her to focus on her work.
The court placed Dorian in the care of BOSASA Horizon Youth Care Centre for children awaiting trial.
Ms Solomons believes Dorian had not been able to deal with his anger because he didn’t receive counselling after the death of his father and brother.
“We went to court and I told the social worker they need to fetch him as he is very rude and angry and he needs help. He told me about Bosasa and said this is a 50/50 chance, either he will come out better or worse, it’s like a small Pollsmoor.
“I said yes he should go so that he can appreciate what he has,” she said.
“When they kept him back I was walking in the other road already and I heard him shouting ‘I want my mommy’ and I thought no he must learn.”
“He was there for six months and was due to come out in January but came out in December due to good behaviour,” she said.
“I told him he might think I’m cruel but it’s for his own good,” she added.
Ms Solomons said she visited Dorian every month for five months and that while he had been quite upset in the beginning, he understood afterwards why his mom had sent him there.
When Dorian was released in December last year, Ms Solomons said, he was different child and was no longer angry and rude to adults.
“There was a big improvement in his behaviour. He was not rude to people anymore, and kept nagging that he wanted to go to school again,” she said.
She described him as a child who liked making jokes, was very talkative, and liked lots of girls.
Ms Solomons admitted that her son had been a member of the Americans gang but said he was no longer involved with them after he returned home.
She believes that his shooter was someone from a rival gang who was with him at Bosasa as not many people knew about the (gang) tattoo on his arm.
“I want the community to stand up and say if their children have guns. They need to start working with the community and not against them because this needs to end now,” she said.
A vigil was held for Dorian on Saturday March 26 at the open square in Athon Walk in Hanover Park.
Anyone with information is asked to call the investigation official Detective Sergeant Zamuxolo Lengesi on 073 676 8983 or 021 690 1517 or Crime Stop at 0860 10111.