Setback for Rangers after tough loss

Manenberg Rangers fullback Aadil Arnold surges forward during their Western Province Rugby Football Union Super League B match, at Primrose Park, on Saturday. Busy Bees won 27-22

Played in front of a decent and vocal crowd in Rangers’ backyard, the match was a fast-paced one, with end-to-end action. The home side’s supporters came out in their numbers, but, the visitors also enjoying strong spectator support.

On the field, it was Busy Bees who drew first blood, when they got the first try within the first five minutes.

It was, however, not converted and the scoreline remained 5-0 in their favour until Rangers were awarded a penalty, three minutes later. Mosaval, whose boot proved lethal on the day, reduced the Langa side’s lead to 5-3.

The home side continued to pile on the pressure, forcing the visitors to commit another error, which resulted in another penalty.

Again, Mosaval went to work, giving his side a 6-5 lead.

And, in a match, that was characterised by errors, the visitors were awarded a penalty, which Jeremiah converted to make it 8-6 in their favour.

That lead didn’t last long as the home side got another penalty to make it 9-6 going to the break.

Both coaches, Rangers’ Cassiem Daniels and Bees’ Hilton Petinger, had a lot to say to their players during the break. Someone needed to be in control of the game and, in Bees’ case, errors had to be minimised.

However, it seemed that nothing much was going to change in the second half, as the visitors conceded two more penalties in the opening minutes. Mosaval then made it 15-8 in favour of the home side.

That setback seemed to encourage the visitors to send more numbers forward.

They looked dangerous each time they were running the ball forward.

They were quickly rewarded with their second try when Dumke touched down, to reduce the deficit to 15-13.

And, late in the game, they scored another try to make the score 22-15 to the visitors. However, Rangers bounced back with their own try to level the scores at 22 all.

Busy Bees broke the hearts of Rangers when the scored another try in the last moments of the game for a final score of 27-22.