Man stabbed 18 times

A green Opel Kadett was hijacked in Hazel Road, Rylands, on Sunday August 27, at 4am, as the driver stopped at the Golden Dish takeaway to buy food.

The driver’s side window was smashed with a stone and while one man grabbed the keys from the ignition, another man opened the passenger side door.

The driver was threatened with a knife and told to get out the car before the men drove off.

No arrests have been made.

Also on Sunday, a 40-year-old man was stabbed 18 times in his head, back, and arms in Pearl Crescent, Belgravia.

According to Athlone SAPS spokesperson Sergeant Zita Norman, the man was at home when unknown men came into his house looking for a specific person who they claimed had stabbed somebody else.

The man was attacked with knives, pangas and batons.

A man died after being stabbed during a fight among residents at Vygieskraal informal settlement in Belgravia.

A case of murder has been opened and there have been no arrests.

A Manenberg man has been convicted of perjury for opening a false armed robbery case.

Waseem Claasen, 23, was sentenced to four months imprisonment or a R4 000 fine on Tuesday August 8 in the Athlone Magistrate’s Court.

He had claimed that he and his mother were robbed of cellphones and goods worth R7 000 on Saturday December 17 after they took a taxi home from Vangate Mall.

He said that as they walked home towards Pecos Walk, a Golf pulled up next to them and threatened them with a gun before robbing them. Manenberg police investigated the case and discovered that the incident never happened.

Law Enforcement arrested three men, aged 18, 21 and 23, for possession of a stolen vehicle in Chukker Road, Kenwyn, on Tuesday August 22.

The men, all from Hanover Park, had been in possession of a brown Toyota Avanza taxi.

The driver had not returned with the vehicle for three days and was later found dead in the Salt River mortuary. He had been assaulted and burnt to death.

When the Avanza was spotted by the owner’s brother in Kenwyn, he phoned the owner to bring the spare keys and while he was waiting, the three men approached the vehicle with a five-litre can of petrol. They poured the petrol into the tank, climbed into the vehicle and attempted to drive off but was blocked by the vehicle owner’s brother.

Law Enforcement saw the commotion and arrested all of them including the vehicle owner’s brother who was released without being charged. The men were detained at Lansdowne police station and charged with theft of a motor vehicle and possession of stolen vehicle.

A murder charge was also added after the driver was found dead.