Police on the hunt for gunmen


A 23-year-old man died after being shot in his neck while a 25-year-old woman sustained a gunshot wound to her right leg on Saturday April 2, in Athburg Walk, Hanover Park.

The motive for the shooting is unknown and it has yet to be determined if the incident was gang related. The suspects fled the scene on foot. Police are investigating a case of murder and attempted murder. No arrests have been made. Anyone with information can contact the investigating officer Detective Warrant Officer Ronald Koopman at 021 690 1517 or 073 171 6154.

On the same day, a search of several suspected drug outlets in Hanover Park was conducted by Metro police, law enforcement, and members attached to Operation Combat in Hanover Park.

Drugs including mandrax, dagga, and unga, with an estimated street value of R20 000 were confiscated.

Two men, aged 33 and 39, were arrested at a house in Lansport Road for the illegal possession of a large quantity of unga and dagga. An undisclosed amount of cash was also confiscated. The 39-year-old man is a repeat offender and is currently on trial for a drug-related case.

Also on Saturday, police patrols arrested a 28-year-old man and confiscated a large amount of mandrax tablets from him in Lansry Walk.

Police also arrested a 52-year-old woman from Lucine Place, for the illegal possession of drugs after police confiscated a large quantity of dagga in her possession.

* The body of 19-year-old Torique Solomon was found at Poinsettia Street, Bonteheuwel, on Monday March 28, at about 9.50pm.

He had died due to a gunshot wound in his chest.

According to witnesses, Mr Solomon and his friend were coming from the shop when two unknown men approached them and fired shots at them. Mr Solomon died on the scene and his friend was taken to hospital with a bullet wound in his foot.

A murder and attempted murder case has been opened. No arrests have been made and the police are investigating the possibility of gang violence.

Later on the same day, at about 8.30pm, two men, aged 19 and 33, were shot while riding a motorcycle. Police found the 19-year-old man in Ironwood Street with bullet wounds in his left and right legs and the 33-year old was found in Juniper street with five bullet wounds to both his legs. They were both taken to hospital.

Attempted murder cases have been opened and no arrests have been made yet. Police are investigating the possibility of it being a gang-related shooting.

* On Tuesday March 29, 37-year-old Thursto Hefka from Borriehout Street, Bonteheuwel, was shot in hest chest and killed, at about 5.45am. A murder investigation has been opened and Bishop Lavis police say any gang relation will be investigated.

On the same day, a shootout occurred between five robbers and law enforcement officers when a shop at the Engen garage in Bonteheuwel was robbed of R300 000, between 7am and 8am. Three suspects were arrested and four are still on the run.

One of the law enforcement officers were alerted to a suspicious group loitering in the vicinity of the Engen garage.

He sourced back-up and as the officers arrived at the garage, five men came storming out of the premises.

The officers gave chase, during which one of the suspects opened fire on them. The officers returned fire and managed to catch up to two of the suspects. One of the suspects was found in possession of just over R20 000, while the other had approximately R2 500 on him. Members of the public then informed officers that a red Ford Laser was involved in the robbery. The officers then traced the vehicle to Langa and, with the assistance of the South African Police Service K9 unit, they arrested the driver and recovered a firearm.

R28 000 of the stolen money was recovered. The suspects, aged between 26 and 31, appeared in Bishop Lavis court on Thursday March 31. JP Smith, the City of Cape Town’s Mayoral committee member for safety and security, commended the officers for their quick reaction to the robbery.

“This was a very daring robbery because our Law Enforcement base is literally next door to the garage. The officers are to be commended for their quick reaction to the concerns of the public and also for putting their lives on the line to catch those responsible. This success would not have been possible without the valuable information received from the public and I tip my hat to them,” said Mr Smith.