Call to aid Bonteheuwel fire victims

A burnt-out bedroom in Camellia Street, Bonteheuwel.

Donations of food and other basic needs are being collected to help the victims of two separate fires that gutted a bedroom and two shacks in Bonteheuwel.

The first fire started at a two-bedroom house in Kersboom Street, at about 7.30pm on Saturday July 23, said City Fire and Rescue Service spokesman Jermaine Craig.

The following evening, at 9.30pm, a fire started in a backyard wendy house in Camellia Street and spread to another wendy house next to it. Four people were displaced according to Mr Carelse.

Bonteheuwel ward councillor Angus McKenzie urged caution when making fires.

“Open and unattended fires are dangerous and can easily create unneeded fatalities, which, in most cases, is avoidable. We have to ensure that we practise the safest measures possible to avoid this sort of catastrophe, specifically now in winter.”

Mr Carelse said no injuries were reported and it was unknown what had caused the fires.

Food, clothing, crockery and other basic needs can be dropped off at Mr McKenzie’s office, on the corner of Jakkelsvlei Avenue and Kiaat Road, Bonteheuwel.

The City’s spokeswoman for disaster risk management, Charlotte Powell, said the South African Social Security Agency had been asked to provide humanitarian assistance.

The remains of the Camellia Street fire in Bonteheuwel.